Building Permits

To submit a permit by email, please send all required documentation to [email protected]   

Below is a list of general projects that require a permit. Most of these projects require a copy of your property plat of survey. The proposed project or improvement should be indicated by drawing to scale on a copy of the plat of survey. A copy of electrical, plumbing and roofing licenses are required for any
contractor working on your property. Residents with Homeowner Associations are required to obtain a project approval letter from the Homeowner Association in order for the Village to issue a permit.  Please allow 5-10 business days for permit review. 

Permits may be submitted in person, by mail, or by email.

 Permits are required for: 
 Addition to Structure Pergola
 Alteration of Structural Systems Plumbing
 Basement Remodels  Radon Mitigation System
 Central Air Conditioning   Roofing
 Concrete Shed
 Decks  Sidewalk
 Demolition    Siding
 Driveways    Permanent Signs and  Temporary Signs
Solar Panels
 Fence  Spa/ Hot Tub
 Fireplace Swimming Pool
 Furnace Sump/Gutter Discharge
 Garage Tree Planting, Parkway
 Gazebo Tree Removal
 Lawn Irrigation System Water Heater Replacement
 Patio Windows

Permits are not required for:   
Cabinets and Counter Tops  Low Voltage/Wi-Fi Security Systems
 Flooring Retaining Walls, under 4' high
 Painting Swimming pools 23"deep or less



Property owners are required to apply for building permits upon the first business day after the emergency repair is made. The Round Lake Community Development staff is available to assist you with your project in any way that they can.  If you have any questions regarding projects and building permits, please contact Community Development at 847-546-0963.  


Garage sales do not require a permit. If using signs please remember that they are to be placed on private property only and not in the right-of-way.  Signs must be removed immediately following the event. 


Homeowners, before doing any work in the Village, please make sure to check and see if you will need a building permit. If hiring a contractor, it is a good idea to get 3 estimates. Check contractor’s references and make sure they are licensed and insured. Follow up on required inspections to make sure they are done and approved.

Call JULIE (811)

If you are planning an outdoor home improvement job, whether it's planting a tree, installing a fence or deck - PLEASE WAIT!  Whether the work is being done by you or by a professional, smart digging means calling JULIE at 811, at least 2 business days before you dig!.  Homeowners often make risky assumptions about whether or not they should get their utility lines marked, but every digging job requires a call, even small projects like planting trees and shrubs. They will send a locator to mark the approximate location of your underground lines, pipes and cables, so you'll know what's below - and be able to dig safely.

2018 (IEBC) International Existing Building Code
2018 (IBC) International Building Code
2018 (IRC) International Residential Code
2018 (IFC) International Fire Code
2018 (IFGC) International Fuel and Gas Code
2018 (IMC) International Mechanical Code
2017 (NEC) National Electric Code
2018 (ISPSC) International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
2018 (IMPC) International Property Maintenance Code
Illinois Energy Conservation Code, current edition
Illinois Plumbing Code, current edition
Illinois Accessibility Code, current edition